22 April 2009

String Star Quilts


Last November a dear friend issued a "quilt challenge" to a group of about 90 quilters. She showed a small child's quilt from the late 1800's and challenged us to create something, not necessarily duplicate the original, but to Create with a capital C. Six months later, next quilt retreat, and two of us did Create. In this photo the original which measures about 31" wide and 44" long is on the bottom and my little quilt is on the top. I sewed it from strips of Civil War reproduction fabrics that measured 3'' long and 3/4'' wide which finished to diamonds 1'' in height. Lots, and lots, and lots of pieces!

Since I began shortly after the 2008 Presidential election, I dedicated this to Barack Obama and included one piece of cotton I printed with his name on my ink jet printer. But it is more than that. For me it is a symbol of the validation of the Declaration of Independence that "all men are created equal." Now we can work on equality for women and children!

When I showed this quilt at the show and tell of the quilt gathering, I thought, "There's so much controversy, it just may be art!"

1 comment:

Hanne said...

Hi :-)
I see that we already have met, spring 2008 in Shipshewana at the retreat, but I can not remember a face to your name....and you have no photos of yourself on your blog.
I see that you have Rebecca's string quilt on your blog :-)
I hope to be back next spring!!